Getting started with Solar in Columbia
Learn more about community solar in Columbia, or follow these six steps for installing your own solar system:
- Educate yourself: Study PV systems and evaluate your energy consumption history. This will give you an idea of what type will work best for your location, the size and cost of the system.
- Choose your contractor:Contact several PV installation contractors. Columbia Water & Light maintains a list of PV contractors who meet our program requirements. It is important to ask the contractors for references, licenses, and certifications.
- Review the parameters of the rebate program: Review the net metering and rebate guidelines with your contractor.
- Fill out and submit the Interconnection & Net Metering Agreement: A letter will be sent from Columbia Water & Light approving your PV project and notifying you of the rebate funds reserved for your project. Projects not completed within six months of approval must be resubmitted and lose their place in the rebate process.
- Permits, installation and inspection: After approval from Columbia Water & Light, your contractor must obtain an electrical permit from Building and Site Development (BSD). After the PV installation is complete, contact BSD to schedule final code inspection for your electrical permit. Upon receiving electric code approval from BSD, contact Columbia Water & Light at (573) 874-7325 and schedule a rebate inspection.
- Finalize your rebate: Your rebate will be finalized at the time of inspection by Columbia Water & Light staff. All invoices for the PV system, final approved code inspection and a copy of the insurance certificate, if required, must be submitted. If you were notified your project was placed on a waiting list for rebate funds, the rebate will be processed as funds become available.
Missouri residents’ solar rights are protected by Missouri state statutes. Specifically, property rights opens in a new window and net metering. For information about the Solar Industry in Missouri, visit the Division of Energy’s website. For rebates from Columbia Water & Light, using one of our approved PV installation contractors is required. When choosing a solar contractor it is important to ask the contractor for references, licenses, and certifications. For further information about tax credits available for solar energy systems, please review the Energy Star tax credit information.
Info for Contractors:
email Renewables@CoMo.gov to request the template SAM file and to apply to be an approved solar PV installation contractor. Review our PV rebate guidelines and complete a copy of the net metering and interconnection agreement.
Training video, help documents, and more coming soon.