Commercial Energy Efficiency Loans
Why not make an energy efficiency upgrade now, and start saving on your utility bills? We can help you with financing the upgrades. Our loans have a fixed, low-interest rate with no prepayment penalties. Up to $30,000 is available for a commercial loan.
Items eligible for a loan
Loans may be used toward any of the following items:
- Energy efficiency assessment
- Air conditioner
- Heat pump
- Natural gas furnace (with air conditioner or heat pump)
- Solar water heater*
- Solar energy system*
*See information about solar energy loans for more details.
Apply for loan application
To apply for a commercial loan application, download the loan application. Print, sign and return the form to Columbia Water & Light, Energy Efficiency, 4th Floor, 701 E. Broadway, Columbia, MO 65205, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The limit on energy efficiency loans is $30,000 for commercial customers. There are no prepayment penalties. You can select your terms and interest rate by determining the length of your loan. Loan terms include:
- Up to 3 years: 1%
- 4 to 5 years: 3%
- 6 to 10 years: 5%
- Be a commercial electric customer
- Be a property owner
- Have good credit history
- Have a deed of trust
- Have an ASHRAE Level II energy assessment completed
Loan participation steps
- Schedule an ASHRAE Level II energy assessment. Check with Columbia Water & Light if you would like a list of consultants. After the assessment, you will be given suggestions on how to make your business more energy efficient. Our loan program is a great way to finance these improvements.
- Complete the opens in a new windowcommercial loan application. Your consultant can help you with the application. You can fill out the form using your computer, but you must print and sign it.
- Once notified of loan approval, proceed with the project.
- Make copies of all invoices for your efficiency upgrades and contact Columbia Water & Light (573-874-7325) for the final inspection. At the inspection, the staff member will collect all invoice copies.
- Two weeks after the final loan inspection, you will be contacted by Columbia Water & Light to arrange an appointment to sign the loan papers.
- All people listed on the loan form must be present at the loan signing appointment. Columbia Water & Light offices are located at City Hall, 701 E. Broadway, 4th floor.
- A photo ID (e.g., driver’s license) is required for each applicant.
- A Recorder’s Office fee of $27 (amount is subject to change) will be added to your final loan amount.
- You will receive the check for your loan at the end of this appointment.
Efficiency improvement requirements
The cost of an ASHRAE Level II assessment can be financed.
Heating and cooling systems
Allows for replacement of a furnace (natural gas, propane or electric), if it is installed along with a new central air conditioner or heat pump with an efficiency rating of 11 EER or greater for units that are 6 tons or larger.
The new lighting system must be at least a one kilowatt reduction from the old lighting system. Only payments made to outside vendors for equipment, supplies and labor are eligible for financing. All requirements of the lighting incentive program must be followed.
Financing is available for sealing the supply and return ducts to achieve the lowest leakage rate possible. Requires an additional duct testing before and after the sealing is completed.
Our loans DO NOT subordinate to other loans you have on your property. If you refinance your current business loan or sell your building, you will be required to pay off the Commercial Energy Efficiency Loan. Requesting subordination of your Commercial Energy Efficiency Loan generally takes at least two months.
If you are refinancing your mortgage for a lower interest rate, shorter loan term, in order to maintain ownership of the building or borrow more money for an improvement project, you could be eligible for subordination. A copy of the customer’s current credit rating, the appraisal used for refinancing and a copy of the mortgage application will need to be submitted. A committee that meets before the tenth day of each month will review the subordination requests to determine if a customer is eligible. Please contact us if you have any questions about subordination.
Rebates: You could also be eligible for a Columbia Water & Light rebate for energy efficient lighting and/or heating and cooling systems. Make sure you fill out a rebate application and turn it in with your final loan paperwork. Check with your other utility providers, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and the federal government for additional rebates.